Childcare, Dependent-Care and Disability Support Program
Childcare, Dependent-Care and Disability Allowance
Application deadline: March 21, 2022. Apply now
The RNA Society is accepting applications for allowance support to help offset the cost of child or dependent care to enable members to present their research at the RNA Society Annual Meeting in Boulder, Colorado 2022. Members with a disability that requires financial assistance at the meeting are also encouraged to apply.
The RNA Society Childcare, Dependent-Care and Disability Allowance is a reimbursable allowance of up to $1,000 towards one of the eligible scenarios detailed below. Funds may not be used for ongoing childcare expenses or the costs associated with transporting the child, dependent or the attendee to the meeting. Submission of an application is not a guarantee of funding.
Applications will be reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis until allocated funds are exhausted. Successful applicants will be notified by May 1st, 2022 and allowances will be made payable at the conclusion of RNA 2022 upon the submission of expense receipts.
This Program is offered by the RNA Society Meetings Committee and is kindly administered by Dr. Maayan Salton (of The Hebrew University of Jerusalem).
- RNA Society membership in good standing.
- Abstract, successfully submitted, as first author or main PI
- Priority will be given to students and early-stage scientists.
- Eligible children are under the age of 16
- Dependents are parent, disabled child, spouse, partner or family member for whom the applicant is the primary caregiver.
- A disability may affect access and participation of the member to the meeting and may require for example a wheelchair, or hearing or visual assistance.
- Only one allowance per family may be awarded.
Allowance recipients are required to present their submitted abstract during the RNA Society Annual Meeting. Failure to comply will result in forfeiture of the childcare, dependent-care and disability allowance.
Eligible funding scenarios
Funds may be applied to only one of the following eligible scenarios. Expenses in excess of the allowance are the attendee’s responsibility. Funds may not be used towards expenses for transporting the child, dependent or the attendee to the meeting.
- Childcare and dependent-care provider travels to attendee’s home
If the attendee must arrange for a family member or other care giver to travel to the attendee’s home to care for the child or the dependent while the attendee participates in the meeting, the allowance may be used for travel costs associated with one care provider’s travel from his/her home city to the attendee’s home. Allowance funds may be applied towards care giver’s economy class airfare or train fare, airport/station transfers, parking at care giver’s home airport/station, or mileage and parking if driving to the attendee’s home. Expenses are reimbursable following attendee’s participation in the meeting and submission of original receipts and a completed RNA Society reimbursement form. Reimbursement form will be provided with the allowance notification.
- Child or Dependent travel to care giver outside home community
If the child or the dependent is to be cared for by a care giver who resides outside the attendee’s community, the allowance may be applied to costs associated with transporting the child or the dependent to the care giver’s home. Funds may be used towards economy class airfare or train fare, unaccompanied minor travel fees (where applicable), airport/station transfers.
- Care provider travels to meeting location to care for child or dependent
The allowance may be applied to the travel costs associated with a care giver to travel to the meeting location to care for the child or the dependent while the attendee participates in the meeting. Funds may be used toward one care giver’s economy class airfare or train fare, airport/station transfers, airport/station parking, mileage to/from airport/station, car rental expenses if driving to the meeting location, on-site housing for the care giver (if housed in a separate room from the attendee).
- Additional arrangements
The RNA Society recognizes the flexibility sometimes required when providing child or dependent care. Accordingly, allowances could be provided if justified; for example, to ship breast milk to or from home.
The allowance may be applied to assist a disabled member with transport during the meeting (e.g., wheelchair assistance) or to provide assistance with other disabling issues at the meeting location.
Funding may NOT be applied to the following
- Ongoing childcare or care of a dependent an attendee would normally incur (e.g. before/after school care on an ongoing basis)
- Any of the attendee’s expenses
How to apply and supporting documents
Supporting documents must be uploaded as PDF files.
- Abstract — copy of abstract submitted as first/presenting author. You must upload a copy of your abstract (see below) with your allowance application.
- Include a benefit statement explaining how meeting attendance will benefit applicant’s professional development
- Resume or abbreviated curriculum vitae (approximately two–three pages)
Name supporting document files according to this format: